SFA Falls to Utah Tech 37-31

ST. GEORGE, Utah- The Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks (3-3, 0-2 UAC) faced off against the Utah Tech Trailblazers (1-4, 1-0 UAC) today.  The ‘Jacks fell to the Trailblazers 37-31.

Utah Tech got the ball first and found success passing the ball early as they were able to chew up most of the field on their opening drive.  The Trailblazers ran a quarterback option on fourth down and Chris Street was able to find the endzone from four yards out.  With 9:59 remaining in the first quarter Utah Tech led the ‘Jacks 7-0.

SFA’s first possession did not find the same success as the Trailblazers. The ‘Jack’s drive stalled out at their own 45-yard line.  Max Quick’s 47-yard punt put Utah Tech back at their own 7-yard line and set up the Lumberjack’s defense in favorable position.

The Trailblazers second possession started deep in their own territory. After a defensive pass interference call got Utah Tech setup at midfield, SFA’s defense held strong.  Edward Bobino III came up with a huge third down sack that resulted in a 12-yard loss and a Trailblazer punt. 

At the end of the first quarter the Trailblazers led the Lumberjacks 7-0.  It was the first time this year that the ‘Jacks have been held scoreless in the first quarter.  With 14:54 in the second quarter, Connor Brooksby missed on a 42-yard field goal.

SFA’s offense finally found traction following Anthony Williams’ 75-yard rushing touchdown on the ‘Jacks first play of the second quarter.  With 14:38 left in the second quarter the game sat tied 7-7.  Anthony Williams has now scored in touchdowns in four of SFA’s six games.

With 12:37 remaining in the second quarter Connor Brooksby made a 40-yard field goal that gave the Trailblazers a 10-7 lead.

Following a SFA drive that stalled out on offense, the Lumberjacks defense came up big once again.  Edward Bobino III got to the quarterback for another third down sack that forced Utah Tech to punt from their own 2-yard line.

Brian Maurer kept busy on the ground as he continued to convert for the Lumberjacks by using his legs.  After finding success with his running, Maurer showed his passing ability as he was able to find Kylon Harris on a 9-yard receiving touchdown.  Following the Campos extra point, the ‘Jacks took their first lead.  With 4:30 left in the second quarter SFA led 14-10.

Following the kickoff, Kobe Tracy began to conduct the offense on what would be Utah Tech’s last drive of the first half.  With 2:06 remaining in the second quarter Tracy found the back shoulder of Beau Sparks on a 19-yard passing touchdown that gave the Trailblazers a 17-14 lead. 

Both teams remained scoreless through the remainder of the first half.  Utah Tech held their three-point lead at the half, as the score was 17-14.

The Lumberjacks got the ball first in the second half.  Brian Maurer didn’t waste any time finding Anthony Williams over the middle for a catch and run of 57-yards to the endzone.  SFA once again regained the lead 21-17 with 12:42 left in the third quarter.

SFA added to its impressive turnover total with 9:12 left in the third quarter, after Kobe Tracy’s pass over the middle was intercepted by Jalon Hunter.

With 1:04 left in the third quarter Connor Brooksby lined up for a 49-yard field goal.  However, he would once again pull the kick wide left and keep the Lumberjacks ahead 21-17.

The game’s next points came with 12:52 in the fourth quarter.  Chris Campos nailed a 45-yard field goal that gave the Lumberjacks a 24-17 lead.

Utah Tech would find their first points of the second half following Kobe Tracy’s 28-yard passing touchdown to Rickie Johnson.  With 9:03 left in the fourth quarter the game sat tied at 24.

SFA’s defense found themselves with their backs against the wall after Utah Tech stripped the ball from Maurer on the Lumberjack’s 29-yard line.  The Trailblazers took advantage of the field position and scored on a 23-yard touchdown reception that was caught by Keith Davis.  Edward Bobino III continued his dominant day as he was able to block the extra point attempt and keep the ‘Jacks deficit at 30-24.  Bobino now has two blocked extra points this season.

After the Lumberjacks held the Trailblazers to a punt, SFA got the ball back one last time with 3:26 left in the final quarter.  However, the ‘Jacks would fail to convert on fourth down and turn the ball back over to Utah Tech. 

SFA failed to stop the Trailblazer’s on third and 23 and ended up scoring on the following play.  Chris Street’s 18-yard rushing touchdown and extended Utah Tech’s lead 36-24 with 1:19 left in the game.

With :05 left in the fourth quarter the ‘Jacks would find the endzone one more time following Brian Maurer’s 20-yard touchdown pass to Anthony Williams.  After an illegal touching call on the ‘Jack’s onside kick Utah Tech took over and kneeled the rest of the clock out.

SFA will be back in action at 4:00 p.m. on October 14th against the University of Central Arkansas, in Conway, Arkansas.

SFA Statistical Leaders:

Passing: Brian Maurer21/38 for 228, 3/0 (TD/INT), 69 yds rushing
Rushing: Anthony Williams20 for 147 (7.4), 1 rushing TD, 6 rec for 82 yds, 2 rec TDs
Receiving: Kylon Harris8 rec for 86 yds (10.8), 1 TD
Luke Watson6 solo TKLs (9 total)
Jermaine Brown5 solo TKLs (7 total), 2 TFL
Charles Demmings1 total TKL, 3 PBUs

By: Jace Green, Assistant for Strategic Communications